How can gay, lesbian and straights tell if their relationships are healthy? A good way to start is by seeing if they meet eight important criteria on this Granny's healthy relationship checklist.
Respect. Do you feel like your partner respects you? Do you respect your partner? Do you appreciate each other? Does he or she encourage and support you and basically think you are awesome? Do you do it for her?
Support. Speaking of support, that is an important quality all by itself. Does your partner have your back, stick with you when the going gets rough and understand the challenges you are facing? Do you do it for her?
Trust. This one is something that a lot of people overlook, but it's a biggie. While it is normal to get a little jealous sometimes, trusting a partner means that you don't let your own issues overshadow the trust you have in a relationship. Trusting partners aren't always looking for holes in each other's stories, nor do they imagine cheating at every turn.
Honesty. You know that stuff about trust? Well it is a lot easier to be trusting if partners are telling each other the truth. Now that doesn't mean you are on a path to destruction if you pretend to like your gf's ugly new shirt, or compliment your gal's cooking when it stinks. But in honest relationships, partners don't need to lie about things like where they've been, and who they are hanging out with.
Equality. Relationships should be a balance where both people have an equal say. One person doesn't always get to pick the movie, hang out with their group of friends or generally make all the decisions. Plus, in equal relationships, one person doesn't "win" all the fights or blame the other person for every problem that arises.
Independence. You know those couples who do EVERYTHING together? That might seem kind of cute for a while, but really one of the ways to have a successful relationship is to be allowed and encouraged to grow in new directions with the support of your partner. That doesn't mean that a boyfriend or girlfriend can't turn you on to new things. But it also means that you have the freedom to try out things that your partner has no interest in--say interpretive dance, horror movies, or volunteering.
Communication. Can you tell your partner when something is upsetting you? Do you feel like your fights are fair? What about when things are going well, do you talk openly about your lives, laugh and cry together? The ability to communicate about the good times and bad in a relationship will help strengthen your bond and ensure you are on more solid footing when tough issues come up. Or she you?
Compatibility. Does your partner "get" you? Do you like spending time with each other? Do have any shared interests? It's important not to forget the "friend" part of boyfriend and girlfriend! Or you her?
While dating can be hard for anyone, there are specific challenges for gays. One of the biggest issues is the simple fact that meeting other gays is no easy feat in a lot of places. As a result, gays might find themselves "settling" for a partner that isn't really good for them. If you think that might be happening to you, consider what you are getting from your relationship and if it is really worth it. Everyone deserves a healthy relationship with trust, communication, support, honesty, respect, equality, independence and compatibility, and gays are no exception.
These are Grannys most important eight. Each day I see that I am not sticking to my checklist myself. I find myself wondering and thinking about the moment..that only lasts a moment...that sometimes really is just an illusion....A very very good friend of mine about eight months ago said to me..."you really like the bad boys". I found that strange when she said that because I always thought I checked my checklist.....so what do I end up with? 20 minute greet and meets...awful dates...I learned people are so interested in themselves they can't enjoy the pleasure of others conversations or experiences. Back to my own advice...check my checklist.
What I am most happy about that saves me? I don't do relationships. I have had three...and jealousy is usually the down fall on their point not mine. I don't settle...so usually if they don't meet the above eight..I am so long gone. Now I'm not crazy ether..(well maybe a little)..because there are many of the ...one nighters..one weekers...or one monthers I amuse myself with. Does that sound bad?...maybe..but the point here is it works for me. (and all of you that think sex is involved think again...I despise a woman that are like bikes...that everyone has had a ride on. Or lizben's that go from one member of a group to another. There's class and theres just bad taste. Key word, they settle..
So with all the info above...if I would have one wish...I would have you make your own list. Check it...you are so special and deserve to have the best...and some times, just some times it just takes a long time to find thats pecial person...but its so worth the wait. Also don't have blinders on, she or he could be right in front of you. I lost that once, won't happen again.
Take Grannys advice
Granny
Great advice... Lots of players out there.
ReplyDeleteThat is so true...and I'm afraid I have had my share....more than I like to think about!!! hehehe thank you for the comment..I love them..keep them coming...
ReplyDeleteGranny
Dear Granny
ReplyDeleteI am in the best place, in my mind and thinking. I am very happy with myself today. I wasn't very happy with me. I have not been with anyone for 4 years now, had plenty of what, opportunities. My past relationship of 8 years, the breakup was definitely was for the best. Hey, the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart? You talked of the moment. I say be thankful for what is. When you find yourself wishing for something you don't have, or wishing your life would be different, start your quest for your wish by being thankful for what is already in your life. This will bring you back to the present moment. Make a list of what your are thankful for right now even if all you can think of is that you are alive and can breathe. You don't want to miss the gifts right infront of you, because you are always looking beyond what is in the present moment to what once was or what might be. If you are thankful for what is, you'll be happy to be in the moment instead of some place else. This what I practice. Just sharing Granny. Ahhh, everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual's conscious life, the blacker and denser it is. Believe in confronting, one's shadow, it is the highest moral act because it involves the strongest commitment to rigorous self-honesty. Self-honesty is is an ethical challange because it involves recognizing and owning your individual failures, weaknesses, and wrongdoing, along with the deceptions that make up our false self. Why keep looking for Ms Right? Take a good long look at yourself. ok, just saying, LOL.
Thanks Granny
I love this comment..loved it...thank you...
ReplyDeleteI think you were talking in general here, cause I had to go back and see where I might have said I was looking for Ms.Right??? and nope it wasnt there....hehehhe
Granny
Very true Granny relationships are not always easy and can understand more and more alone is not so bad. As a friend said to me "it is better to be alone than wish you were" - keep on with your witt and wisdom!
ReplyDelete